Acer 8.9 or 10 inch.

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Fastskis, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Fastskis

Fastskis

Well I purchased an all black Acer One, 160G the other day. I think it is a pretty dam good little Netbook. However I figured I had better look at the new 10 inch model after discovering one must basically dismantle the 8.9 to add more memory!

However after looking at the 10, I realized that the 8.9 has a generally a much nicer design. The new track pad on the 10 has terrible response, especially the new one button. Also it is bigger and weighs about .18 kilos more. It does have the easy accesses panel for adding ram, but I now think the bit of extra ram is not worth the change.

The 8.9 works just fine and it conforms to the idea of having a very small portable work station.

Also kudos to the inventor of the fan control program. I basically use it whenever the fan noise bothers me, and it works very well.

I hope my observations are helpful to others, I am a very techy smart buyer and always consider every option.

Regards,

Cole

Fastskis, Apr 12, 2009
  2. Fastskis

Singleaction

Cole,

I concur!

I was going to spend $1200 USD on a Lenovo X-200 12" screen, that needed a docking station for dvd drive and vga output, if I remember correctly.

For my purpose, the form factor of the 8.9" is perfect! I'm using it to travel in our RV, and throw it into a small backpack to go sight seeing, and at wi-fi hot spots, check my e-mail, and make campsite reservations.

With the 6 cell battery, I've gotten over 5.5 hours so far! I spent an extra $70.00 for a small DVD burner the size of a cd jewel box that runs off the usb port(if I want to watch a movie,or on the rare occasion install software) and a $40.00 Logitech Nano wireless mouse.

In the camper, I have a 20" wide screen hd monitor/tv with vga/hdmi inputs, so that the small screen isn't an issue.

Most of the campgrounds have free wi-fi, so I can get online anytime.

A true gem!!!!!!!!!!!

Singleaction, Apr 12, 2009
Ask a Question