AAO751h - Win7, Skype over Wifi - freeze

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Mondalo, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Mondalo

Mondalo

I have RTM Windows 7 on my AAO751h with 2GB RAM. It works just fine with a video call on Skype - as long as I use the ethernet cable to my router.

However, if I try to make the call over Wifi, I can hear some stuttering on the speaker at the start of the conversation on Skype, then the whole netbook will freeze within seconds - necessitating a hold-power-button-for-4-seconds reset. You can hear the stuttering out of the speakers as if the netbook is struggling to sample the audio data just before it freezes.

I've updated my hardware drivers for Win7, as well as the BIOS. I also removed the bootup executable that the RealTek driver tries to launch. It appears there's an issue with Skype along with Wifi and/or the sound driver. By the way, the mic test in Skype results in a very very noisy playback (although the recipient on the other end of my Skype call says it was tolerable - but definitely a bit noisy).

Anyone experienced a similar issue? Everything else is peachy with this netbook.

Mondalo, Sep 15, 2009
  2. Mondalo

IAteASeagull

I have the same issue, it's driving me nuts because my pop's smaller, older Aspire One with less memory/disk space runs Skype via WiFi perfectly.

IAteASeagull, Sep 16, 2009
  3. Mondalo

jacob1350

I have exactly the same problem. I am running Windows XP Home on Aspire 751H and used the latest Skype 4.1 and older 4.0. The laptop freezes after 2-20 minutes of voice or video chat. I also updated the BIOS but it didn't solve the problem. The CPU is cool (35 degree) and CPU load is lower than 100%. Have anyone found any remedy?

thanks.

jacob1350, Oct 20, 2009
  4. Mondalo

cmeide

You will learn what has been tried/done with the freezing issue on the sticky freezing thread. Some people, including myself, have more or less solved the problem by replacing the RAM module. I dont think anyone can give you a garanteed part number of RAM that works yet but I strongly advise you to try another RAM module if you have or can borrow one.
    Please report back on your findings.

cmeide, Oct 20, 2009
  5. Mondalo

Mondalo

Mine originally came with 1GB of RAM. I went to Newegg and bought another 1GB. Maybe I'll try it with just the new 1GB stick alone.

Mondalo, Oct 20, 2009
  6. Mondalo

cmeide

Do you have a 751h?

The 751h only have 1 RAM slot. If you want to upgrade to 2GB you will need a single 2GB stick.

cmeide, Oct 20, 2009
  7. Mondalo

Mondalo

You must be right. It's been a while since I cracked it open.

Mondalo, Oct 21, 2009
  8. Mondalo

rebekka

Just bought a Acer Aspire One and MSN and Skype video both freeze within 1 to 15 mins. This is very frustrating as it was the reason for buying this netbook. Reading around the web the problem seems to be quite common with the AA1 - anyone got a solution is Acer working on this?

I should add XP Professional is the operating system (pre-installed).

rebekka, Nov 8, 2009
  9. Mondalo

cmeide

This seems to be a common problem with this netbook. If you can, you should return it for a new one. You may have to repeat this cycle a few times until you get a fully working one. The best would probably even be to find another make/type.
    If you are not able to exchange it, or you really like this nice little netbook with its great screen, there are a few remedies so far. One is to run a crippled system by disabling some drivers, which ones you must find out in the sticky freezing thread. The best solution, but also the most expensive, is to replace the memory module. Its simple to replace, but adds cost. I think a few others along with me have fixed their netbooks completely by doing this. Unfortunatly, I cant give you cheap RAM part number that is garantied to work, only the more costly one in my signature. It made all troubles go away for me.
    Good luck
    :)

cmeide, Nov 8, 2009
  10. Mondalo

vaccarina

How do you take a snapshot in Skype using Mac? My friend is using the latest version of Skype for Mac and wants to know how to take a 'snapshot' of the video he is seeing. I know in Windows there is a button right on the video screen, but he states he sees no button on the mac video. Can someone direct us?

vaccarina, Dec 24, 2009
Ask a Question