AA1 110 and Windows (TinyXP)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Chycky, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Chycky

Chycky

I have a friend that may be going to buy a AA1 110. He don't want Linux as operating system because he have usb devices that doesn't work well with Linux. Therefore I want to ask how the AA1 110 (with ssd) will do with Windows XP and/or TinyXP? I also will help my friend putting some extra 1GB (512MB + 1GB) into his AA1 so I don't think that the RAM would be any problem. But what about the hard drive, the ssd?

Chycky, Apr 16, 2009
  2. Chycky

Tamrac

There are dozens of XP SSD related threads in this forum, feel free to search. But to help, XP is very very fast on the SSD provided you do all the necessary tweaks.... FAT32, Turn of swap, indexing... and install flashpoint. Among the few that are the most important. ;)

Tamrac, Apr 16, 2009
  3. Chycky

Chycky

Ok, thank you! That was exactly the information I wanted. Then I know it will run well, if I only provide all tweaks.

Chycky, Apr 16, 2009
  4. Chycky

Biostem

A full XP install takes up about 1.5GB of HDD space, so you should be fine there. Assuming you install some som eother basic programs, but keep it lean, you should still have over 4GB free on the SSD. The key, though, with the SSD is tweaking it to get better performance. You see, the SSD Acer put in these things is fast at reading but not so great w/ writing. Since Windows like to create and do many reads/writes to a swap file, turnign that off helps a lot. Using FAT32 instead of NTFS helps as well. Disabling the D2D or w/e recovery function is in the BIOS also helps. Consider buying an SD card to put the stuff you need to write to a lot, down the line.

I've tried Linpus, Ubuntu, XP, and Vista on my AAO, and have decided on XP for the time being...

Good luck!

Biostem, Apr 27, 2009
  5. Chycky

Chycky

Thank you for the information! I will try to use UNR 9.04 instead of Windows XP.

Chycky, May 14, 2009
Ask a Question