A small asteroid will fly by Earth on March 5 — here's what you need to know

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

On October 6th, 2013, theCatalina Sky Survey discovered a small asteroid which was later designated as 2013 TX68.

As part Apollo group this 30 meter (100 ft) rock is one of many Near-Earth Objects (NEOs) that periodically crosses Earth’s orbit and passes close to our planet.

A few years ago, it did just that, flying by our planet at a safe distance of about 2 million km (1.3 million miles).

And according to NASA’s Center for NEO Studies (CNEOS) at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, it will be passing us again in a few weeks time, specifically between March 2nd and 6th.

http://www.businessinsider.com/asteroid-will-fly-by-earth-on-march-5-2016-2

Sefie, Feb 9, 2016
    Charles Franklin likes this.
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

How amazing! Just hope it will fly about 2 million km away from earth again this time :)

IcyBC, Feb 9, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. Sefie

Sefie

They said it might be visible to the naked eye, but I'll not believe it until I see it. I often wonder how many things the NASA hasn't told us yet?

Sefie, Feb 10, 2016
  4. Sefie

IBMPC8088

I hope that it just says hello from a distance and keeps on going. We have enough issues with this planet as it is. The last thing we need is something potentially crashing into it lol

IBMPC8088, Feb 11, 2016
  5. Sefie

something back

Are being told the truth? Could it be the earth flying passed the asteroid?

something back, Feb 11, 2016
  6. Sefie

Charles Franklin

I appreciate the information! I was actually more concerned about the "Apophis" asteroid (99942 Apophis) right after I started to get into cosmology and astronomy.

Just go to show, we need to invest in a strong asteroid detection and surveillance system. We can't afford to miss an asteroid because it was on the side of the Earth in the Sun's shadow.

Charles Franklin, Feb 16, 2016
Ask a Question