3G Connection with Virgin UK SIM

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bgp1952, Jul 6, 2010.

1. bgp1952

bgp1952

Hi,

I'm a new user of a 751H and have installed a Virgin PAYG SIM hoping to take advantage of their 3G data access at 35p per day for 25Meg. for occasional emergency web access when not near a WiFi hotspot. But using the default set-up as created in the Acer 3G Manager after fitting the SIM and during my first browser session, the machine appears to have accessed the GPRS service judging by the rate at which my account credit was gobbled-up. This is even though "UMTS Only" was selected in the Acer 3G Manager.

System is running Windows XP Home edition.

Virgin have advised that no extra activation should be required to access the 3G service.

Acer 3G Manager Settings are:
    User Name: t-mobile
    Password: ** (don't know the actual password so am reluctant to try any other settings at the moment)
    APN: general.t-mobile.uk

T Mobile provides the network for Virgin in the UK but I have seen other settings on the web with an APN of "goto.virginmobile.uk" Should I be using this?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in anticipation.

Brian

bgp1952, Jul 6, 2010
  2. bgp1952

melhiore

melhiore, Jul 6, 2010
  3. bgp1952

bgp1952

Thanks for your advice, Melhiore.

It's a shame that the Virgin helpline couldn't have told me that the settings needed changing from the T-mobile link that is supplied as the default in a new Sim to the Virgin Mobile one!

Brian

bgp1952, Jul 27, 2010
  4. bgp1952

AcmeUK

Hi Brian

Where did you find the info on the 35p option. I keep searching the Virgin site and cannot find it.

Thanks

BillP

AcmeUK, Aug 28, 2010
  5. bgp1952

bgp1952

bgp1952, Aug 29, 2010
Ask a Question